This innovative and progressive course is essential for all qualified Beauty Therapists, Licensed Aestheticians and Medical Aesthetics Practitioners serious about a professional career in skin treatment therapy.
This course will not only expand your knowledge of the skin by reviewing skin Anatomy, Histology, Morphology and Physiology, but give you a new respect for the largest organ of the body.
You will learn how to analyse and determine the causes of skin conditions effecting texture, colour and secretions by exploring skin structure and function and relating it to extrinsic and intrinsic causes.
The core of the method focuses on determining the CAUSES of skin conditions experienced, in order for the appropriate targeted interventions. This is in contrast to the more simplistic approach of treating the SYMPTOMS of the conditions that is often employed
by many individuals.
• 55 units of learning (lessons) across seven modules
• 21 Hours of video presentations
• 550 pages of notes
• 52 multiple-choice answer assessments
• Includes 4 e-books and full references for supplementary study
• CPD accreditation for 65 contact hours as a Pastiche Skin Diagnostic Technician
• Can be completed in 10 days (full-time), 3 months (part-time) if time permits; or take up to 18 months
• Excellent educational value: around $20 per hour of advanced knowledge- all in your own time,
whenever and wherever you are.
Module one: Advanced Skin Anatomy & Physiology.
This moduleis an exploration of the anatomical, physiological & morphological aspects of the skin.
The purpose of this in-depth component of the course is to provide an understanding of how the skin works and the various mechanisms that contribute to skin health and normal function. Only by understanding this can we recognize what has gone wrong when presented with anomalous skin conditions.
This first module comprises of 9 units of learning (lessons) covering the following:
- Internal cell structure
- Stem cells and skin development
- What is keratin and why is it important?
- Cells and systems of the epidermis and dermis
- Cell to cell communication
- Lifecycle of the keratinocyte
- The Formation of the Acid mantle ecosystem
- Skin Microbiome formation
- Biological cellular damage
Typical contact/completion time: 10 hours
Module two: Core principles of a detailed skin analysis.
This module is the introduction to the Pastiche Method, and covers the rationale of how the procedure works and the type of information gathered in a consultation to be able to focus your attention on the contributing factors to prevailing conditions. The seven units of learning are:
- Pastiche method
- Introducing this new service
- Setting up the diagnostic area and diagnostic equipment
- Diagnostic characteristics and how to view the skin
- Power of consultation-demographics
- Power of consultation-sun exposure and genetics
- Power of consultation-nutrition and cellular well-being
Typical contact/completion time: 6.5 hours
Module three: Gathering important & relevant information.
This module is a continuation of of the rationale and covers the second part of the consultation procedure including the determining of the basic majority skin type and clinical/aftercare protocols. Units are:
- Power of consultation-medical history
- Power of consultation-medical & general health
- Power of consultation-cosmetic & clinical history
- Discovering the difference between skin type, skin condition, skin disorder, and disease.
- Skin colour and risk for pigmentation
- Contraindications and Protocols
- Diagnose skin type and skin risk from the consultation
Typical contact/completion time: 6.5 hours
Module four: Skin conditions related to Texture.
This module provides a focus on skin conditions that are related to the texture and the structure of the skin, including Keratolytic skin conditions and the structural integrity of the skin.
- Introducing diagnostic summary forms
- Layer by layer
- How to diagnose keratolytic conditions such as incomplete corneocyte compaction
- Non-inflammatory Acne grades one and two and inflammatory acne grade three.
- The wound healing process
- Understanding Scar Tissue Categories
- Loss of structural integrity; Fibroblast function
- The development and structure of the collagen fibril.
- The loss of adhesion and resiliency of the ageing skin and the structure and development of the elastin fibril
- The ageing skin: The dermal structure
- The final assessment of Skin conditions of Texture: A practical assignment
Typical contact/completion time: 11.5 hours
Module five: Skin conditions related to colour.
This module explores the skin conditions classified under the colour characteristic; factors that affect the skin’s colour due to changes in vascularity, an overactive immune system and defective melanin deposition.
- Vascular and Immune systems.
- The visual analysis of common vascular skin conditions
- Rosacea: New cellular triggers and analysis categories
- Rosacea Analysis: Guideline for the diagnosis
- The Melanocyte Life Cycle and Melanogenesis
- “Cause and Effect, of pigmentation.
- Cellular damage to the melanocyte
- Visual analysis of pigmentation
- Pigmentation; assessment
Typical contact/completion time: 13 hours
Module six: Skin conditions related to secretions and the skin barrier.
This module follows the same structure as the two previous modules, but with attention on skin conditions related to secretions and the skin barrier systems. There are 9 units consisting of:
- Secretions of the skin
- The lymphatic system
- Skin Enzyme Activity
- EFAD and Lipid peroxidation
- The Antimicrobial Barrier and Impaired barrier defense systems
- The endocrine system
- Hormonal medicated acne
- Visual analysis secretions
- The practical assignment and assessment of those skin conditions linked to the diagnostic characteristic of texture, colour and secretions
Typical contact/completion time: 11.5 hours
Module seven: Summary and treatment planning.
This final module is where we pull all of the information together to summarize findings and prescribe a treatment program. We also show how diagnostic equipment is a valuable data gathering and communication tool for selling your treatment programs. The three units consist of:
- Diagnostic summary completion
- Prescribing and selling the treatment program
- Final visual analysis of skin conditions & final exam
Typical contact/completion time: 5.5 hours
Certification: On the successful completion of the course, you are presented with your certification as a Pastiche Skin Diagnostic Technician.
Help & support: Throughout the course you are able to seek help and ask questions from the course facilitators and creator. We strive for your best learning experience and will work with you so you meet your learning objectives.
Florence Barrett-Hill is an internationally acclaimed dermal science educator, practitioner, researcher, and author with a vast experience covering all aspects of professional aesthetic therapy and paramedical skin care. Florence holds over a dozen diplomas and international qualifications covering every aspect of modern skin treatment therapy, and is well respected by her industry peers for her 30+ years of knowledge she loves to share.
Florence has trained both generic and brand specific philosophies, understanding the wide range of treatment modalities, and their place in the industry. With wide experience from owning and operating clinics, through to paramedical technical experience in the post operative care of burns survivors and plastic surgery patients and the formulation of skin care products, Florence is a uniquely talented industry practitioner who intimately knows her subject and is passionate about continually raising the standards of professional beauty therapy and skin care.
Florence has spent the last 30 years continually educating herself in all aspects of professional skin care, passing on her knowledge through acclaimed training courses and publications. Florence has written hundreds of technical papers and manuals covering
many aspects of paramedical skin treatment, and has published a number of industry related documents in both print and web media. Her research is ongoing; with beauty industry topical subjects being presented in both seminars and online learning courses.
Florence was the creator of the first education-only website for the skin care professional, Beautymagonline.com back in 2000.
In 2004, Florence published the ground breaking book; Advanced Skin Analysis, a text now read by professional skin care therapists and aesthetic tutors in 16 countries worldwide in four languages.
Her successive book, Cosmetic Chemistry was released in 2009 and is a follow on from the skin analysis book that approaches a technical subject in the language of the therapist and practitioner.
Praise for Florence’s philosophy, content and delivery has been high, with accolades from training providers and practitioners internationally.
Using The Pastiche Method®, we have developed training programs to provide superior education and resources covering the subjects of effective skin analysis and treatment planning that provide the aspiring beauty therapist or clinical aesthetician a path to becoming a skin treatment professional.
Since 1994, thousands of beauty therapists and aestheticians from around the world have benefited from education provided by Pastiche.