Essentials of Humanitarian Practice (EHP) - Australia
RedR Australia’s Essentials of Humanitarian Practice training course teaches you everything you need to know about working within the modern humanitarian system and what it takes to respond to an international humanitarian crisis that involves a global
On this training course, you will learn the complexity of the international humanitarian relief system and the legal framework for humanitarian assistance. We will introduce you to the characteristics of natural hazards, conflict-induced emergencies,
and the requirements for an effective humanitarian response, highlighting some of the dilemmas faced by humanitarians and aid workers.
During the training, you will learn about the various United Nations agencies that respond to disasters and the roles these agencies play in coordinating responses for various sectors such as health, water and sanitation and logistics.
You will discover how international non-government organisations work with these agencies to share information and data, to avoid duplication and ensure humanitarian aid reaches those who need it without causing harm.
We give you the opportunity to put the knowledge you gain into practice and to explore the team skills required to work effectively in the field.
The Essentials of Humanitarian Practice course is suitable for people of all backgrounds, skills and levels of humanitarian experience, and is constantly be updated with the information.
If you are considering a career in the humanitarian sector and want to know if it is right for you, this course will give you a greater understanding of what it takes to be a humanitarian.
If you are a technical specialists already in the humanitarian and development sector, in government or work for an NGO, this course will give you a deeper understanding humanitarian foundations, coordination mechanisms and emerging issues and trends.
This course has run for more than 20 years with participants from many backgrounds and stages in their careers. You will have the chance to network with a wide range of different people and learn more from their professional journeys.
The course is in English and you need to have a reasonable proficiency of the English language.
The overall aim of the course is to improve the quality and professionalism of humanitarian action by deepening understanding of the modern humanitarian context, fundamentals and practical realities.Course Objectives
- A comprehensive overview of issues, systems and practice related to working in disasters and humanitarian emergencies.
- Increased depth of understanding of the context, history, foundations and new developments in humanitarian practice.
- An experience-based learning environment in which you can put your own skills and newly acquired knowledge into practice, as well as understand what humanitarian work is really like.
- The Humanitarian Story: a history of humanitarianism
- Diversity, Vulnerability and Capacity
- Working in Humanitarian Teams
- Introduction to Radio Usage
- National Context and Disaster Management
- International Humanitarianism and Law
- Coordination Structures and Response Processes
- Participation and Accountability
- Cash and Livelihoods
- Humanitarian Standards
- Technical Sectors
- Emergency Shelter
- Food Security and Nutrition
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in Emergencies (WASH)
- Protection programming
- Education in Emergencies
- Health programming
- Logistics and Telecommunications
- Quality Humanitarian Programming
- Settlement and Site Planning
- Ethics and Decision Making
- Information Management and Emergency Needs Assessment
- Media and Communications
- Technology and Future Challenges
- The RedR Australia Roster and Humanitarian Careers
Our highly experienced trainers deliver a unique and high quality training experience.
Our trainers have extensive experience in complex emergencies and natural disasters in Africa, the Middle East, the Americas and the Asia Pacific.
All food, accommodation and training materials for six days and five nights. Travel to and from the venue is not included.
Course fees are in Australian dollars and can be paid in full via credit card through our secure payment facility. Organisations are able to request to receive an invoice.
Further instructions regarding course logistics will be provided upon payment of course fees.
|Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
RedR Australia is a leading international humanitarian response agency that selects, trains and deploys technical specialists.